Jilly's Reviews > Battle Royale

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

bookshelves: 2016-machalo-reading-challenge, dystopia, fucking-brilliant, favorites

E.T.A.: So, I watched the movie today online. (It's everywhere). If you saw the movie, you still don't know the book. Totally different! The movie is even more like the Hunger Games, but it doesn't scratch the surface of the book. It also is not true to the book at all. Even character names were changed. Read the book instead! ;-)
****************************************
(Back to your previously scheduled book review):

Holy Massacre, Batman!

If you feel like the Hunger Games was way too sweet, touchy feely, and gentle - this might be more your style.

If you wanted more kids in the arena, more sick & twisted mind games, waaaaay more blood guts & gore - look no further.

If you wondered what it would be like if all 42 kids grew up together, knew each other, and trusted each other before the Hunger Games - your answer lies within this book.

If you wished that you had the POV's of Cato, Clove, Rue, Foxface, along with their backstories and their brutally detailed deaths - gotcha covered.

If you thought of how much different things would have been if they'd been given guns and there were no game-maker toys to kill them, only each other - it's all here, baby!

So, the first bit is a little hard to get through because it can be a bit confusing with so many characters. Especially since they have tough names that includes their last names. I mean, for me they were tough. There were no Joe's or Sue's. And, there are 42 of these suckers - ouch! That is a lot of names to keep straight. But, the good news is that once the 'game' gets underway, it really starts to flow. And, it is epic. So unbelievably brutal and disturbing. But, also so many times when it's poignant. I'm just amazed at how deep this book was able to go into the character's minds when there was so much action and so many people. It really is an amazing piece of work.

Also, Suzanne Collins totally plagiarized! There were parts of the story that were absolutely exactly from this book. For instance, there were announcements in the morning and evening of who was killed, they were constantly narrowing down the playing field to herd the kids closer together, and there was a part where they instructed one boy to set two fires with young wood so that it would smoke as a signal and then they would use a bird call to find each other. Copy much?

I read this book, not only because I wanted to and it was epic, but also as part of my 2016 Reading Challenge with the MacHalo chicks: Read a book that was made into a movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Royale.

January 4, 2016 – Shelved
January 4, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 14, 2016 – Started Reading
February 14, 2016 –
page 300
48.62% "Nothing like reading blood, guts, murder, rape, and mayhem to get in the Valentine's Day spirit!\n This is the Hunger Games on steroids!\n \n "
February 15, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-machalo-reading-challenge
February 15, 2016 – Shelved as: dystopia
February 15, 2016 – Shelved as: fucking-brilliant
February 15, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites
February 15, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Wifey! I've been wanting to read this for AGES! We agree about decaf vampires, there's no way we can not agree about sick & twisted teenagers. Bump-bump-bumping it up!

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Awesome review, Jilly! ;)

message 3: by Kels (new)

Kels Awesome review! I had no idea that Suzanne Collins copied her idea of the Hunger Game, but I guess it's like they say, Nothing new under the Sun..

mich oh my gosh Jilly, I love that you read this! (hardly anyone I know has). Is goooood, yeah! :D

hehe, I've wondered if something might be a little wrong w/my brain - that I've put this insanely violent, gory, teenage massacre book on my favorites shelf. . . but I see you've favorited this as well! yay! :)

message 5: by Jilly (last edited Feb 15, 2016 12:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jilly ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "Wifey! I've been wanting to read this for AGES! We agree about decaf vampires, there's no way we can not agree about sick & twisted teenagers. Bump-bump-bumping it up!"
Well, our murderous inclinations are what made us fall in love! lol!

Arianna wrote: "Awesome review, Jilly! ;)"
Thank you, Arianna! :)

That is why I became interested in it. I'm a Hunger Games fan. And, I was surprised when some things were almost exact. I wondered if she got permission to use these things in her books.

mich wrote: "oh my gosh Jilly, I love that you read this! (hardly anyone I know has). Is goooood, yeah! :D

Yes! It's sooo good! It's not just the killing, but the getting inside their minds, and the different psychological aspects of it. Really intense and riveting. :)

message 6: by Taylor (new)

Taylor jilly i am giving u 5 stars on the review
LOVE IT

Jilly Taylor wrote: "jilly i am giving u 5 stars on the review
LOVE IT"

Aww, thank you, Taylor! :)

message 8: by Emma Jones (new)

Emma Jones Crap, das one awesome review!

message 9: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review hun :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Woah! This certainly sounds epic! Awesome review, Ate Jilly! Adding it.^^

Jilly Emma Jones wrote: "Crap, das one awesome review!"
Lol! Thank you, Emma! It's one awesome book! ;-)

Jessica wrote: "Great review hun :)"
Thank you, Jessica! :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Woah! This certainly sounds epic! Awesome review, Ate Jilly! Adding it.^^"
It's dark and disturbing, but in a way that I think you will like, ading AJ. The Hunger Games on crack! ;-)

message 12: by Judith (new)

Judith Great review,darling,xx

message 13: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Mesa I read this book sometime back in 2000s or so and it blew my mind. The scene at the .... lighthouse ...I think.... where the main guy is in a place with a bunch of girls - first time a book ever made me close to tears.

Jilly Judith wrote: "Great review,darling,xx"
Thank you, Judith! :)

Yes, that's what is so brilliant about the book! The way the girls "broke" showed how psychologically challenging the game was. I also think Hiroki finding his best friend dying was a tough one, and the "Third Man"'s story.

message 15: by mich (new) - rated it 5 stars

mich Eric wrote: "I read this book sometime back in 2000s or so and it blew my mind. The scene at the .... lighthouse ...I think.... where the main guy is in a place with a bunch of girls - first time a book ever ma..."

Dude, YES! The lighthouse scene was one of my favorite parts in the book and definitely one of my favorite parts in the movie too.

message 16: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Mesa mich wrote: "Eric wrote: "I read this book sometime back in 2000s or so and it blew my mind. The scene at the .... lighthouse ...I think.... where the main guy is in a place with a bunch of girls - first time a..."

It does help explain the way people act when things are chaotic in the real world.

Mizuki Kelly wrote: "Awesome review! I had no idea that Suzanne Collins copied her idea of the Hunger Game, but I guess it's like they say, Nothing new under the Sun.."

Here's my Hunger Games rips off from Battle Royale checklist:

(1) different bags of weapons and food given by the government

(2) the battle filed gets smaller everyday

(3)(view spoiler)

(4) The backstory of a former winner who had lost a girl he loved in a previous game

(5) said former winner doing what he could to help the main couple

(6) former winners joining the game (BR movie, Catching Fire)

(7) a 'host' saying cheerful things on air throughout the game

(8) the names of the dead teens being announced by the end of every day

SETOseraph Characters names weren’t changed?

Jilly Oh man! I hate when I do this. I'm sorry to everyone whose comments I never saw way back when!

Seto- Some of the character names were different in the movie than the book. I don't have a good understanding of Japanese names, but in the book, a few of them had similar seeming names to me. Maybe the movie tried to make them have bigger differences.

message 20: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny Great review, Jilly!

Jilly Thank you, Penny! :)