Ana Ruiz's Reviews > Les Misérables

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

Feb 20, 2011

bookshelves: 2012, 2011, 5-stars, historical, not-nobel, must-read-again

To say that a book over 1400 pages long has not a word to spare is a lot, but probably never enough could be said about Victor Hugo's masterpiece. Perfect

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Les Misérables.

Quotes Ana Liked

Victor Hugo
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”

Victor Hugo
“The pupil dilates in darkness and in the end finds light, just as the soul dilates in misfortune and in the end finds God.”

Victor Hugo
“The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories, that it has come to be disbelieved in. Few people dare now to say that two beings have fallen in love because they have looked at each other. Yet it is in this way that love begins, and in this way only.”

Victor Hugo
“A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is visible labor and there is invisible labor.”

Victor Hugo
“What is said about men often has as much influence upon their lives, and especially upon their destinies, as what they do.”

Victor Hugo
“Life's great happiness is to be convinced we are loved.”

Victor Hugo
“To die for lack of love is horrible. The asphyxia of the soul.”

Victor Hugo
“Not being heard is no reason for silence.”

Victor Hugo
“To love or have loved, that is enough. Ask nothing further. There is no other pearl to be found in the dark folds of life.”

Victor Hugo
“What happened between those two beings? Nothing. They were adoring one another.”

Victor Hugo
“Promise to give me a kiss on my brow when I am dead. --I shall feel it."

She dropped her head again on Marius' knees, and her eyelids closed. He thought the poor soul had departed. Eponine remained motionless. All at once, at the very moment when Marius fancied her asleep forever, she slowly opened her eyes in which appeared the sombre profundity of death, and said to him in a tone whose sweetness seemed already to proceed from another world:--

"And by the way, Monsieur Marius, I believe that I was a little bit in love with you.”

Victor Hugo
“When love has fused and mingled two beings in a sacred and angelic unity, the secret of life has been discovered so far as they are concerned; they are no longer anything more than the two boundaries of the same destiny; they are no longer anything but the two wings of the same spirit. Love, soar.”
tags: love

Victor Hugo
“He was fond of books, for they are cool and sure friends”

Victor Hugo
“If I speak, I am condemned.
If I stay silent, I am damned!”

Victor Hugo
“To love another person is to see the face of God.”

Victor Hugo
“It is nothing to die. It is frightful not to live.”

Victor Hugo
“Teach the ignorant as much as you can; society is culpable in not providing a free education for all and it must answer for the night which it produces. If the soul is left in darkness sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.”

Victor Hugo
“There are no weeds, and no worthless men. There are only bad farmers.”

Victor Hugo
“Love is the foolishness of men, and the wisdom of God.”

Victor Hugo
“He never went out without a book under his arm, and he often came back with two.”

Victor Hugo
“If people did not love one another, I really don't see what use there would be in having any spring.”

Victor Hugo
“Those who do not weep, do not see.”

Victor Hugo
“Diamonds are to be found only in the darkness of the earth, and truth in the darkness of the mind. ”

Victor Hugo
“Let us study things that are no more. It is necessary to understand them, if only to avoid them.”

Victor Hugo
“You ask me what forces me to speak? a strange thing; my conscience.”

February 20, 2011 – Started Reading
July 16, 2011 –
page 450
March 6, 2012 –
page 1000
68.35% "ALMOST THERE! (And it's not even that true considering I still have over 200 pages left to go. Some books are that long in its entirety.)"
March 18, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012