Bianca Mori's Reviews > The Boyfriend Backtrack

The Boyfriend Backtrack by Dawn Lanuza

It would be easy to start this review with "it was a cute read!", which it is, but it's also more than that.

Let me start by saying I binged on romance novels during the holiday break and quickly discovered that I no longer respond as well as I used to urban contemporary romances with gabby girlfriends -- which is ironic, because that's what I started reading AND THEN writing when I began doing chick lit (and the reasons why I outgrew that trope are not to ding the authors of these reads, but just my personal preference.) Dawn Lanuza's The Boyfriend Backtrack has those elements -- the city setting, a lead character mulling a change in her life's direction, two fun best friends from college who are all up in her business.

But Dawn writes these elements in a captivating way that completely makes it her own. The pace is leisurely and introspective -- none of that frenetic rom-com pace. The best friends can be pushy, but in a way that belies their complete familiarity, care for and ease with the lead character, instead of just for comic effect or tension. The lead character's dilemma evolves throughout the book thoughtfully, and when she arrives at her resolution, the reader has gone through that journey with her, understanding it completely.

This book is also hilarious! From the bit about Hogwarts with the perfectly handsome ex to Devil Woman (oh my God every time that was mentioned I started giggling uncontrollably) to "I wasn't even in the top 3!", the sense of humor shines through the pages.

And oh, that last third just speaks to my music nerd heart. Loved this and highly recommend it for readers looking for cool, urban, contemporary romance reads beyond the expected.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boyfriend Backtrack.

Started Reading