Diane Majeske's Reviews > Whiskey Sour

Whiskey Sour by J.A. Konrath

Feb 20, 2011

Author J.A Konrath has a great blog for the newbie self-publisher - which I am. So I thought it would be a good idea to check out some of his fiction books, too.

And for someone who generally reads warm, cozy mysteries, this first offering hit me like a solid slap in the face. It was a far more hardboiled genre than I usually take on.

That said, moving out of your comfort zone is sometimes a good thing.

First things first: Konrath is an excellent writer. I couldn't put the book down - much as I cringed at the graphic text, even as I sat open-mouthed at his villain's sadistic nature. I just kept reading. Because I had to know what happened next.

The protagonist here - Jack (Jacqueline) Daniels - is a police lieutenant trying to catch a creep who calls himself The Gingerbread Man; he's a serial killer leaving the bodies of women all over her district. What she doesn't know is he's making snuff films in his basement, and he wants her to be the next star.

Konrath changes POVs - first person for Jack, third person for the killer - and though it sounds like it would be confusing, it works.

Next time I read one of this author's books, I'll know to leave the lights on and make sure I'm not alone in the house.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whiskey Sour.