Jenny Maloney's Reviews > His Majesty's Dragon

Feb 08, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: have-read
Read in February, 2008

I picked this book up (and it's two follow-ups) because there was a great write-up in Writer's Digest about how Novik turned this story into a 'great new series'. Um, after reading it, I'm not sure quite how she managed that.

There are scenes. Sometimes really exciting scenes. But I fail to see the over-arching problem...and I don't know how you would drive a whole series without a bigger problem. The relationship between the rider, Laurence, and the dragon, Temeraire, is strange...to say the least. It leans away from the benevolent caretaker/child kind of relationship and more into a relationship-type of relationship. If Laurence said "my dear" one more time I was going to throw the book across the room. In my opinion, there were some great opportunities to really make the two main characters adjust to each other...probably the best kind of story for a man just forced out of his career and life-as-he-knew-it...but none (not one!) of those opportunities were taken. Bummed me out.

~Jenny
Place For The Stolen
Under Ground Writing Project

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Majesty's Dragon.

03/10/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Glad to know I'm not the only one who found this book over-hyped.

Matthew My dear was a common phrase used during that time. No problem using it on a companion of the same sex. See Maturin calling Jack Aubrey "My Dear" many a times in Patrick O'Brian's series.

Jenny Maloney Matthew - will definitely check out O'Brian's series. This one just wasn't my cup o' tea.