Jeremy's Reviews > All the Truth Is Out: Gary Hart and the Week Tabloid Politics Took Over

All the Truth Is Out by Matt Bai

bookshelves: politics, nonfiction, audio

I found this book to be a fascinating examination of the ways in which, in the 1988 presidential campaign, political journalism shifted from a policy to personality focus. Bai does a fantastic job reporting the facts of the scandal and media firestorm that engulfed then-Senator Gary Hart and caused him to end his campaign in 1987, demonstrating skill as a researcher and journalist. I was impressed how the author deftly handled both the very personal, human elements of the narrative while painting the big picture for readers that the events of that early summer had consequences that reached far beyond one single campaign.

The audiobook provided easy listening, and an often welcome distraction from the political news coverage of the day. The talented writing and very able narration kept me interested and engaged from start to finish--no small feat for audio nonfiction.

I'd suggest this book, and especially the audiobook, to West Wing junkies like myself who enjoy taking a step back from the headlines to bring the system itself into focus. Additionally, I think fans of Serial's very in-depth, immersive coverage of a single story will find it a fascinating listen.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Truth Is Out.

January 3, 2016 – Started Reading