Jamie (Books and Ladders)'s Reviews > Burning Midnight

Burning Midnight by Will McIntosh

liked it

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Actual Rating: 2.5*

I loved the premise of this book and was immediately enthralled with the idea of spheres giving people abilities. I think it was so interesting that not only did Scully sell these at a flea market, but he also discovered a new one. I really liked his relationship with is friends, Hunter, and Alex Holliday. I think character wise this was a really great book. But the characters weren't enough to save it for me.

There was a definite turning point. I liked some of the lead up to finding the Gold sphere and it's twin, but it got a bit boring at this point for me because Scully and Hunter weren't really doing much about anything and scraping by. It seemed like once they found the gold, it was about finding the OTHER gold and all I really wanted to know was what it did. And even that ended up being a disappointment.

I felt like the story took a nosedive and became this weird semi-preachy novel about aliens and God. Which made it a strange mix. I thought the ending was kinda tacky tbh. I'm going to put the ending under a spoiler so I don't ruin the book for people but I really want to talk about it.

(view spoiler)

This had so much potential and went so downhill after the Gold spheres were found and burned. I liked the overall idea and thought it was really well written, but the ending was overdone and something I could have lived without.

Books and Ladders | Queen of the Bookshelves | Books Are My Fandom | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burning Midnight.

January 3, 2016 – Shelved
January 3, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
April 4, 2016 – Started Reading
April 4, 2016 –
21.0% "this is really interesting so far"
28.0% "lesbian!!!"
April 4, 2016 –
34.0% "IF I HAD A PAIR OF PLUMS I COULD REREAD BOOKS FOR THE FIRST TIME AGAIN."
April 4, 2016 –
62.0% "I'm less interested in the getting. I want to know what it does"
April 4, 2016 – Finished Reading