Celine's Reviews > Out Stealing Horses

Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson

Feb 20, 2011

Read from February 20 to 24, 2011

I adore books that give you a real sense of time and place. Especially those that sensually evoke a time long past in places you will never get the chance to experience, and detail the everyday things like how food is cooked and eaten, how water is fetched etc. So on that level Out Stealing Horses was a treat for me. The way it is written too ( or should I say the translation?) appeals to me; a rich, evocative almost poetic depiction of space and light and sensation. Beautiful.

However, as the story went on I found I couldn't fully engage with the main character - I felt like I was watching him slantwise from the corner of my eye through a gap in a door. The second half of this book depends on you wanting to be with him and figure out what he wants/is doing, but by then I just didn't care. So, unfortunately, I am left with a distinct and unshakable feeling of 'so what?' for which the other gifts this book has to offer me can't quite compensate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out Stealing Horses.

02/21/2011 page 108
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela I'd heard about this one, but forgot to mark it as a 'to-read' - any good so far?

message 2: by Celine (new) - added it

Celine Well I'm half way through and thoroughly enjoying the style ( it's full of scent and sound and light. Just kind of redolent , if you know what I mean?)So far there is little to no plot though, and I suspect the entire thing may continue in this slow, sad lyricism right to the end, which to be honest would be ok by me!

message 3: by Celine (new) - added it

Celine Perhaps its the fact that I have the flu, but I've begun to feel distinctly held at arms length by this book. Its becoming a struggle to keep reading.

message 4: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela How funny! I saw this recc'd on another site and decided to check it out on Goodreads, and here we've had a conversation on it over a year ago, which I've completely forgotten about! Did it turn out to be worth the read?

message 5: by Celine (new) - added it

Celine LOL! And Nope. Didn't you read the review?

message 6: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Nope! For some reason, your review didn't come up when I searched the novel, just our comments, but now, there it is! Weird. Anyway. Too bad it didn't live up to its potential.

message 7: by Celine (new) - added it

Celine Only for me though! You know how impatient I am. Maybe you'd like it??