Iain Edward Henn's Reviews > My Beautiful Spy

My Beautiful Spy by Colin Falconer

Feb 20, 2011

Just as Bogart's famed 40's movie, 'Casablanca,' had its scenes of lazy, smoky, edgy atmosphere, so too does this masterful piece of historical suspense fiction by Colin Falconer. Romantic rendezvous and clandestine operations take place in bars, cafes and the exotic spots of a city clouded by the shadow of war.

Nick Davis is a spy posing long-term as an English diplomat in 1940's Bucharest, as the Nazi presence escalates. He falls under the spell of Daniella Simonici, a Jewish Romanian woman, beautiful, fragile, but with hidden depths of strength and a past that may not be all it seems.

Unlike some modern suspense novels with their 2 page chapters and constant scene cuts, Falconer's writing style owes more to those authors who offer detailed description of character, mood and place. This considered pace creates a wealth of images that stay in the mind and draw you deeply into the intrigue.

It is a story of love, but also of obsession and a man questioning the value of his life; it is a thriller of war-time espionage that shows us the consequences of greed and corruption, and which will keep you turning pages until the final, haunting twist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Beautiful Spy.

February 20, 2011 – Started Reading
February 20, 2011 – Shelved
March 5, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Russell (new)

Russell Wiskar I was taken back in time with this good read.