Laura's Reviews > Keeping Faith

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

20608600

it was ok
bookshelves: two-star

Jodi Picoult is an author I keep returning back to again and again. Her books have the unique ability to ask complex questions of your own beliefs and prejudices; normally I devour anything she writes and some of my favourite books belong to her. However, Keeping Faith just didn’t hold its momentum for me.

Recently separated from her husband, Mariah and her strong willed mother are attempting to raise Mariah’s seven year old daughter Faith with as minimum disruption as possible. Mariah is chronically depressed due to her husbands infidelity, and as such is neglecting her child. Much of the book centres on Mariah and how she feels, which is at odds with the books title.

Most of Picoult’s books follow a similar thread: complex family ties, courtroom drama, a resolved ending. Keeping Faith differs slightly from the other books but the writing remains true to the Picoult style.

Maybe it was the religious aspect I found uncomfortable - the idea that a child is talking to God and has the ability to cure AIDS, bring an old woman back from the dead and walk on water is absurd to me. I just couldn’t take it seriously enough to look past these situations. The book didn’t progress as I would have liked it to either and I found myself wishing the pages away. Oh well, hopefully the next Picoult book I pick up will help make up for the time spent on this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping Faith.

January 3, 2016 – Shelved