C Joy's Reviews > To the Brink

To the Brink by Cindy Gerard

F 50x66

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, ebooks, romantic-suspense, mystery-suspense, thriller, military, action-adventure

So far, this is my favorite story in the Bodyguards series.

I admit I'm a bit partial because the setting was mostly in the not-so-touristy part of the Philippines, but it highlighted places, a real terrorist group name (Abu Sayyaf), and of course the accurate Tagalog phrases. I love the story of Darcy and Ethan, that their divorce wasn't a result of a third party, and they got back together after 5 years.

This was an adrenaline rush from start until almost finish. I lost sleep over this book and finished it quickly. A story like this doesn't remain unread for too long, it's that much of a thriller for me that I was engrossed.

When I was reading this, I felt like I was watching a movie. Their chemistry was explosive and I'm a sucker for "knowing the one as soon as you see him/her" types. I can't say this is love at first sight, though this may be classified like that since Ethan knew off the bat he wanted Darcy, and he wanted forever with her, although not in those words. There's no question the lust at first sight also factored in.

They had hot and steamy sex and I could only imagine the setting in Peru, both strangers exploring some foreign land together, no worries, both of them on vacation, and both just felt free...until Ethan's issues, which is every soldier's issue, at least the ones who has seen action, bad ones, and lived through it.

I breathed a sigh of relief only in the end.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the Brink.

January 3, 2016 – Started Reading