Marigold Dicer's Reviews > Sailor's Warning

Sailor's Warning by Noelle Greene

bookshelves: reviewed, favorites

This is the second book by Noelle Greene that I’ve read, and another one I loved. The characters are so real, no stereotypes here – just complicated, flawed human beings. I particularly liked Rob (the hero) as he is honestly one of the most realistic male characters I have ever read in a romance. Quite simply, he’s a bit distasteful at times due to his arrogance or presumptions, but rather than making him dislikeable it actually makes him honest. We are made from our own experiences, and this can result in poor judgement on our own part. There was a moment early in the book when he meets the heroine when her illness is at its worst, an illness that causes her hair to fall out and strips her of her youth. Rather than feeling pity for her (as I expected) he felt disgusted, and then ashamed of himself. It is a reaction many people have in the face of such sickness, and I was surprised the author didn’t shy away from describing it. There was nothing rosy about the scene, just honest and terrible humanity.

Rob takes a long time to redeem himself, to become honest with his own flaws and expectations for life. While I would call the genre of this novel suspense/mystery romance, there are ample doses of family drama and personal discovery too. The hero and heroine are entirely equal in this book as they both go through their own, intersecting journeys. Okay, I’ve talked enough about the hero, let’s hear about the heroine!

Meri Darrow is a scientist (yay!) whose career and health are in tatters (boo!). She’s one smart cookie, although maybe if she’d read as many Agatha Christie novels as I had she might’ve guessed one of the twists earlier (I swear, some novels are as good as textbooks for the things you can learn). Her character is equal parts fierce and wary, her illness (I’m being vague deliberately) having sapped much of her vigour, but not all! As she recovers, she starts to dig towards the truth of the experiments at her old labs. The subsequent mystery and suspense are so much fun. Honestly, what’s not to like about Sailor’s Warning? It has everything I could want! (Hooray for complex characters!)

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sailor's Warning.

Started Reading
December 30, 2015 – Finished Reading
January 3, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 3, 2016 – Shelved
January 5, 2016 – Shelved as: reviewed
January 5, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Ari (new)

Ari Stone Would you like to read more by this author? CBR has Warrior's Intuition listed for review for FREE. Sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/UQLfgs7DRR We would love to have you.