Victoria's Reviews > Bitterblue

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

I am lucky to have a good friend who is a bookseller who received an advance reader's copy of Bitterblue and gave it to me.

Graceling was really good. Fire was magical and still my favorite. But Bitterblue...Bitterblue is practically transcendant. I wish I could find the words to describe how it really made me feel. Cashore has developed into an author who is able to imbue so much character, feeling, and personality into her characters that I felt I was experiencing what Bitterblue was experiencing; it was that mesmerizing. It's just an unbelievably written book to the point where I found myself re-reading parts over and over.

If I had one word for Bitterblue, it would be powerful. Bitterblue begins eight years after Graceling ended when she was 10 and suddenly queen. Now Bitterblue is 18 and starting to struggle with the idea that she needs to be a good queen but has no idea how. She is also starting to feel like her advisors are hiding something, and they are indeed. The legacy of Leck's mind-altering rule isn't over and the reality of what happened during his reign is more horrific than anyone can imagine. The ensuing struggle to find the truth, the newness of falling in love, and ultimately enduring a painful betrayal make for an incomparably compelling read. Bitterblue transforms from a girl to a young woman as she begins to find her way.

I've heard this book described as a love story. It really isn't. Yes, Bitterblue falls in love, but it is not by any means the main factor of the story.

I can't say enough about how much I loved this book. I literally carried it around with me just so I had it close by. I wanted to immerse myself in it. I wanted to read it so slowly that I practically drowned in it. I wanted to immediately read it again when I finished. If it takes Cashore years again to write her next book, I will happily wait if it's anywhere near as good as Bitterblue is.

It was also beyond wonderful to see Fire again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitterblue.

February 19, 2011 – Shelved