Liv's Reviews > Heart of Darkness

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Feb 08, 2008

bookshelves: classics
Recommended to Liv by: Mrs. Lubowicki
Recommended for: fans of the movie Apocalypse Now, fans of the TV show Lost, hungry readers, adults
Read in April, 2006

This was probably the most rewarding book I read in high school. It was one of the first books that gave me a real challenge. The story itself is only about 70 pages long, but wow, what a dense 70 pages. I can't think of how to describe this novella. Words like heavy, complex, introspective, at times a bit terrifying really don't do it justice, but it is all of these things and more. If you like stories about the the foreign and often terrifying landscape of your own mind, pick this up.
As always, allow yourself to be aware of the cultural, societal, linguistic, and anthropological implications of the setting- in short, this book can be read as incredibly racist, and for many, that's enough to put it down, burn it, and never think of it again, but if you allow yourself to move past the fact that it was written by a white, male explorer in the 1800s, setting out to "civilize" a part of Africa, and allow yourself to see the deeper meaning of the text, it can be incredibly rewarding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Darkness.

Julie I agree Olivia...as usual, well said. I'm glad I didn't read it until I was an "adult" as in high school I didn't have a high enough functional literacy to engage with this type of writing.