Sierra the Nerdgirl's Reviews > Outsiders

Outsiders by Tammy Ferebee

liked it

My friend Temecka who blogs at Library of Tomes received a review copy of this and after talking to her about this book, I decided that it might be up my ally and I wanted to give it a shot. So, I contacted the author and got a review copy. Now to the review...

I had quite a few issues with this book, the main one being that it was really a just childish and full of teenage drama. For those of you that are keeping tabs on me, you know that I am trying to veer away from Young Adult literature because at this point in my life it just kind of pisses me off and I want to read something more mature. That being said, this book is kind of one of the reasons why I'm doing it. There was just so much unecessary drama, and I realize they are teeangers and teenagers are supposedly really extra, but I just can't take it anymore.

Plot wise, most of it felt like it wasn't headed anywhere. This book is like a combination between sci-fi and contemporary and that doesn't really work. The sci-fi elements honestly did not make any sense and just made the plot all the more unbelievable. I think if the sci-fi elements were gone, the plot would be much improved. That being said, I wasn't a fan of the plot for most of the book, but it definitely improved towards the end and caught my attention more. I can tell the series is headed in a direction with more action and a plot.

Now on to the characters... I didn't really like any of the main characters. I thought they were rash and infuriating teens, which as I have stated above, I am trying to avoid. They were so diverse though and I highly appreciate that. The main character was a female person of color who was an athesit, and I can identify with that, and I have never been able to identify with that before. Other characters were diverse too, being people of color or members of the LGBT community, and I think that it is amazing that the author included such a diverse array of characters. And the way she described them and portrayed them was really realistic and it is hard to get that.

As for the writing, it wasn't too special, but it was very realistic of how teenagers think and act and I appreciated that, even though, you know, teens annoy the hell out of me.

Overall I feel like I could like this series. The author has some things she can improve on and I can probably get over the whole teenager thing. I'm hoping she develops the sci-fi aspect of the book so that it makes more sense and doesn't make me want to roll my eyes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outsiders.

January 2, 2016 – Shelved
January 2, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 20, 2016 – Started Reading
January 22, 2016 –
20.0% "Where is the plot?"
January 22, 2016 –
27.0% "Things are moving way too fast and there is nothing believable about what's going on."
January 22, 2016 –
33.0% "What the ever loving hell is going on?"
January 22, 2016 –
40.0% "I don't think I have ever been this pissed off over instalove."
January 22, 2016 –
41.0% "I cannot stand possessive guys!"
January 22, 2016 –
50.0% "Don't mind me while I sit here and twiddle my thumbs in wait for a plot."
55.0% "*yawn*"
January 25, 2016 –
70.0% "Petty teenage drama like this is why I'm growing out of YA."
January 25, 2016 –
74.0% "Okay. Great Lakes water in Michigan is not too dirty to drink. That is where we get all our water because it is some of the freshest water in the United States. I've been drinking that water my whole life."
January 25, 2016 –
92.0% "Sooo over dramatic"
January 25, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Temecka (Library of Tomes) I understand where you're coming from with certain parts of the book. I felt like it was easy to read and fun. I love the books for diversity because it's not everyday you find an atheist protagonist.

Sierra the Nerdgirl It really isn't everyday that you find a protagonist like that and I really do appreciate the representation.