Ida Eriksson's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief is a masterpiece. It is. Everyone should read it, especially if you're into books about second world war and the holocaust. I loved the fact that death told the story, it may sound weird but it was really interesting and different. I liked the way it was written. I've literally bookmarked SO many pages with quotes I want to save.

I think it's important to know that during this time in history, all German citizens were NOT bad people. Not everyone hated jews and other minorities. There were people who fought against the Nazis and there were people who hid jews in their basements, just like the characters in The Book Thief.

This story has everything - love, death, friendship, trust. And I really liked the perspective on words. How words are everything. How words can turn a whole nation against a group of people. How words can do both good and bad and how the lack of words can make a difference too.

“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.”

At the end of this book I didn't want it to end. I didn't want to leave them. Hans, Rudy, Liesel, the narrator - death. I couldn't just let them go. But I guess all good things come to an end.

There was a part in this book that actually made me tear up. I NEVER cry when reading books. Guys, I cried. That says a lot. Again, EVERYONE should read this book. You will not regret it. You have my word. This book is perfection and Markus Zusak is a genius.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

January 2, 2016 – Shelved
January 2, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
April 9, 2016 – Started Reading
April 9, 2016 –
page 52
April 9, 2016 –
page 74
13.41% "I Love Rudy so much and I love Hans so much and I already know this book is a pure masterpiece"
April 12, 2016 –
page 126
22.83% "I mean I'm only on page 126 but EVERYONE should read this book"
April 14, 2016 –
page 290
52.54% "I've marked so many pages of this book because of beautiful quotes. I can't wait to finish it and I also never want to finish it."
April 16, 2016 –
page 428
77.54% "Nej nej nej nej nej nej nej nej D'''':"
April 18, 2016 – Finished Reading