Ian's Reviews > The White Woman on the Green Bicycle

The White Woman on the Green Bicycle by Monique Roffey

3652044
Feb 19, 2011

bookshelves: modern-novel, favourites, family-relationships, book-group, a-kindle

Not often I give 5 stars to anything but I loved this book. First book read on my new kindle and what an opener. Set in the final throes of colonial Trinidad, the author has come up with a truly evocative piece of writing. It's a fascinating tale primarily about the relationship of two very flawed characters woven into the politics, atmosphere and climate of the island. This was a local book club choice and to be honest I didn't really fancy it, even after a couple of chapters......but it grew and grew on me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Woman on the Green Bicycle.

message 1: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Hi Ian. I have been nosing through your books, I really like the sound of this one and have added to my list to read. I read a book recently called Small Island, which sounds similar. I gave it 5 stars, and comes highly recommended. It's not really one that keeps you in suspense, but it is really well written and gives you a good feel for what it was like for 2 Jamaican's coming to live in post WW2 England, and also the reaction to the English lady who took them in, very interesting subject.

message 2: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Thanks for the tip Gemma - is that by Andrea Levy? I've just read one of hers set in colonial period Jamaica that was really good.

message 3: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Yes, Andrea Levy. I really enjoyed it, I would love to read more of here - what was the one you have just finished called?