Michelle's Reviews > The Magicians

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

liked it
bookshelves: 2016, fantasy, library, audiobook, sci-fi, reviewed

Brakebills. It's like Hogwarts, but for college students. And less fun.

Quentin, who grew up obsessed with the magical land of Fillory (*Narnia*), is suddenly whisked into Brakebills College to develop his unknown skills in magic. Quentin is a magician--not the greatest wizard who ever lived, but he seems to do a fair job once he's had some training. But he's insufferable and I hate him. He is the poster child for poor decisions. Every time I thought I couldn't hate him more, he does another bone-headed thing. Seriously, dude. You are the worst.

But the story is ok enough for me to give it 3 stars. Mostly for Alice, but also because I stuck with it through the end. And because I'm a masochist and I already bought it, I will read book 2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.

December 26, 2015 –
70.0% "I can't stand Quentin. He's such an ass." (Hardcover Edition)
December 30, 2015 –
84.0% "Still hating Quinten" (Hardcover Edition)
January 1, 2016 – Started Reading
January 2, 2016 – Shelved as: audiobook
January 2, 2016 – Shelved as: sci-fi
January 3, 2016 – Finished Reading
January 6, 2016 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Karen ⊰✿ Haha. I wasn't a huge fan either and haven't yet worried about book 2

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Eh...Kept on NOT adding this one to my TBR list. But, then I watched the first episode of the new TV series. Looked interesting enough. So, maybe I judged it wrong. Forgot all about it until I saw your review. Nope.

message 3: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne I keep hearing people say the first (and maybe second one) are "meh" but that the third one is amazing. I probably wouldn't bother reading them if I hadn't already bought the first one.

Michelle I think I went in with overly high expectations. This is my best friend's favorite book and she has been begging me to read it. Book 2 will eventually get read, but probably not this year. Unless it specifically fits a challenge.