Crystal Allen's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Feb 08, 2008

bookshelves: teenreads
Recommended to Crystal by: Chelsey
Recommended for: Teens Girls & Boys, people who like stories told in diary format or end of the world stories
Read in February, 2008

What a great book! This book is told in diary format from the point of view of a 16 year old girl. At the beginning of the book everything is "normal" on earth. Miranda (our main character) finds out from teachers and the news that their is going to be a phenomenon in the night sky in a few days. A asteroid is going to hit the moon and it will be visible with the naked eye. Everyone is very excited about this once in a lifetime phenomenon. Teachers assign homework about the moon, leading scientists are on the news every night talking about what kind of things people watching will see.

When the big night finally comes people have BBQ's in their backyards and it's almost like a big block party. But something doesn't go as expected and the asteroid knocks the moon closer to the earth creating havoc on the world. Tsunamis wipe out the entire eastern and western seaboard, temperatures swell and then crash, earthquakes shake the world, and volcanoes long lying dormant erupt, ash blocks out the sun, stores are stripped bare, schools are closed, electricity, gas and oil disappear, illness begins to spread... basically the world turns upside down.

Will our heroine, her two brothers, her mother, and everyone she holds dear survive? Read the book to find out.

I can't wait to read the sequel (told from the point of view of an unrelated character) The Dead and the Gone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.