Michelle's Reviews > The Tudor Secret

The Tudor Secret by C.W. Gortner

Feb 18, 2011

bookshelves: blog-tour-book, forpleasure, forreview, historicalfiction

More like 4.5 stars.

I enjoyed this historical novel and found it hard to put down because of the alternate theories in play. I read a lot of historical fiction including novels set in this time period and this author held my attention better than most. Mr. Gortner really grounded me in the 1500s through his excellent description of that time period and his use of the five senses. I experienced many perils along with the main character, Brandon, such as near-drowning incidences and being held in dark, nasty places fearing for his life. I tasted the dust as horses sped past and heard distinct sounds in the dark hallways of the castle.

Everything seemed realistic... even the minor characters. And some of those older ladies such as the duchesses were scary in their fierce presentation, making the story that much more compelling. I could see and taste their blood and sensed their calloused and manipulative hearts. I never knew who was for Brandon or against him for the majority of the book.

The author did a fantastic job with the setting and the pacing of this story. The mystery that was incorporated into the book unfolded in bits and pieces and kept me interested. The use of real people in history such as the Tudors combined with fictional characters to provide alternate theories made it that much more interesting.

As Brandon discovered more about his origins I felt the anxiety and concern along with him. His need to know about his family and why some people wanted him dead was compelling. So was the sad situation surrounding the death of young King Edward and the continual misrepresentation of key characters who were playing whatever role was necessary to save their own skins and not be counted on the losing side. Those were perilous times and this author did a great time bringing the complexity of the Tudors' story to life. I would read more books by this author.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tudor Secret.

February 18, 2011 – Shelved