Natalien's Reviews > McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories

McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories by Michael Chabon

2200870
Feb 18, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: short-stories, adventure, crazy, magic, horror, sci-fi
Recommended for: fans of authors only
Read in February, 2011

Well, really the rating is more like 2 and 2/3 stars which is an average of stars I gave to each story that I read from this only-slightly-astonishing anthology. Yeah, I only read 11 of 15 stories as I didn't have time to read authors I did't know which is sad and I'd normally read every story, but I just could not manage it and I didn't care to read them in the end as there is so much stuff I want to read before I loose my sight of old age. I'm gonna review each story I've read when I'll find time, but overall the anthology is scoring below average of standard enjoyment that is expected from anthology of published authors. Some good stories, only one REALLY FREAKY and most stories were just 'meh!', but King's one was the worst and it didn't do it for me at all so disappointed here. I enjoy the cover illustration for some weird reason.

Recommending stories from this volume by authors:

* Peter Straub,
* China Mieville,
* J.C. Oates - based on E.A. Poe manuscript "The Lighthouse" so this explains why it is the MOST ASTONISHING of all, I suppose.

I'm sorry to say that this is it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories.

02/18/2011 page 70