Martha's Reviews > Purple Hibiscus

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

bookshelves: black-authors, 2018-yorwoc, fiction, needs-trigger-warning, read-2018, read-women-18, would-read-again

I've essentially worked my way backwards with Adichie's novels; this is my third and her debut, and I can say without doubt that she's one of the best writers working today. Purple Hibiscus tells the story of Kambili and Jaja, children of a religiously zealous father, Eugene. Early on, we meet their Aunty Ifeoma, and her increasing presence in their lives starts to broaden their horizons, much to the dismay of their inflexible father. The domestic terror that Eugene wreaks on his family in the name of God is harrowing, and as such this book carries a strong trigger warning for domestic physical violence.

Having now read all three of Adichie's novels, it's interesting to see how she has widened her subject matter over time. Purple Hibiscus is the story of a family, Half of a Yellow Sun is the story of Biafra, and Americanah is the story of clashing cultures as the characters move from Nigeria to America and the UK. Each time she offers us complex, nuanaced perspectives in her characters; in Purple Hibiscus we see the complicated nature of domestic abuse, where Kambili knows her father has caused her pain, but she still feels love for him and still seeks to please him with her piety.

Another cracking book, bring on the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Purple Hibiscus.

January 2, 2016 – Shelved