James's Reviews > Did You Ever Have a Family

Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg

bookshelves: 1-fiction
Recommended for: Allie Notaro, Katee Panter, Paul Cirone

I treasure this book. It has everything I want in something I choose to read. I generally am driven by the plot of a book, closely followed by the character development. Oddly, there is no plot in this book as the conflict at the center of the story took place before the book begins. Yet I love it. Quickly falling to character development, it's fantastic. Each chapter switches from character to character, some of which you understand the connection to the plot, some of which you do not. By the middle of the book, you know what actually happened to kick off the tragedy, but relating the story each character tells is where you find the soul of the plot.

I highly recommend you read this book over a few days, not all at once. Take time to think about the characters, how they relate to folks in your own life, and figure out what the meaning ultimately is to you. I wish we all had a Lydia Morey in our life. She can teach us a lot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Did You Ever Have a Family.

January 2, 2016 – Started Reading
January 2, 2016 – Shelved
January 2, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 2, 2016 –
page 25
January 3, 2016 –
page 90
30.72% "I like that each chapter is about a different character!"
January 3, 2016 –
page 145
49.49% "Characters are real. Sentiment is right on target. Direction could go anywhere. I want to be on this book's path."
January 7, 2016 –
page 215
January 9, 2016 – Finished Reading
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 1-fiction

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Thom Let me know when you're done -- I read it earlier this fall and have some thoughts....

James I'm done. Wow. We all need a Lydia Morey in our life.

Larry H Great review, James! This was a tremendously affecting book and I felt similarly.

James @Larry - Thank you. Lots of powerful emotions in this story.

message 5: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda James, loved your thoughts on this book. I purchased it on my iPhone, before I had my nook, and I only get to read a few pages ever so often, while I'm waiting for appointments. I'm thinking of buying it again for my nook or get a hard copy, because the story stays with me even though there are months between reading it, and I still remember what has happened. I know you suggested taking your time, but I'm pushing it to the limits! So glad I read your review!

James Oh, thank you! I'm so glad you are reading it, even if all at once... just asking the question "did you ever have a family" can bring so much emotion to the forefront. I am probably going to re-read it again this summer. I wish you lived in NYC... we could trade books all the time!

message 7: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda James, that would be a real treat! I'm always lending my books out to friends, which I enjoy doing. I should have been a librarian! :-)

James You would make a good one. I just saw this today. Oops.

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie I loved you review, James. In fact I'm going to read the book now. I don't understand, though, why you rated at four stars instead of five.