Kyle's Reviews > Gardens of the Moon

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

Feb 18, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, ebook, fantasy, series, own
Read from September 12 to 22, 2011

This book is a struggle that is totally worth it. I read through about 25% of the book and was totally clueless about what was going on yet still got lost in the language. To truely understand what was going on plotwise I had to check out Tor.com's Re-Read of the Fallen, avoiding the discussion and focusing on the chapter summaries. This brought the events that I had read into a clearer picture. I'm so used to world building that inovles introducing a part of the world or system of magic followed soon after by an overt description of what it is. Erikson never uses this method of world building. There are gods, Ascendents, and mortals; what the differnce between the two is never totally explained. The magic system is based on Warrens (what they are is not explained) This book does not feel like the world and the characters were created on page one, but the world evolved and grew for centuries prior to page one. The narrative is writen not for a person just being introduced to the world, but just takes part in the world and the reader picks it up as the story goes. This was a challenge, but completely worthwhile. I'm looking forward to the rest of the Malazan series hoping for answers to questions, but the characters are great enough if things are never explained I'm sure I'll love living with these characters for a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gardens of the Moon.