Natalie ~ The Biblioholic's Reviews > Holding You

Holding You by Jewel E. Ann

bookshelves: alpha, contemporary, possessive, secrets

“Our love felt beautiful, vital, and sometimes toxic.”

That quote sums up this book for me. Addy was trying to cope with the tragedy of her past and Quinn wanted to be man enough to help her. We get glimpses of what happened with Addy but I guess book 2 will contain the full reveal.

I liked Addy. She was spunky, kind, generous, smart, etc. She's a filthy rich vegan chef who owns her own vegan Cafe. Did I mention filthy rich? And she doesn't care about money except for how it could benefit the less fortunate. A truly remarkable character. More people should be like this! She had so many things going for her. And her support network (Mac and Evan) were amazing too. I'm glad there wasn't too much drama involved to convince her to make the switch from 'friends with benefits' to a real relationship with Quinn.

For the most part, it was hard to like Quinn. He was too cavalier in the way he handled their 'no strings' relationship. He basically flaunted what he was doing with other women but became a possessive jerk at the hint of anyone being interested in Addy. Damn hypocrite lol. I believe things went too far with Olivia. I think she should be killed off or something. She was horrific. Why couldn't she understand that what he had with Addy was only what she could dream of ever sharing with him??? I like that his title for her was 'distraction'. I think it was a fitting description.

Quinn's mother was incredible. I like how real she was and hope to see more of her in book 2. She seems to be a voice of reason.

My only issue was that I really wanted Addy to confess all to Quinn. I just feel that for a relationship to really work, everything needs to be out in the open. I understand her hesitance but there is a saying: Everything in darkness must surely come to light.

My fave quote:“The worst kind of pain is when you’re smiling just to stop the tears from falling.”

I felt like this is what best describes Addy. Fake it til you make it sweetheart. Time is the greatest healer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holding You.

January 1, 2016 – Shelved