Nic Stone's Reviews > Nyxia

Nyxia by Scott Reintgen

Jan 01, 2016

In a word: Wow.

This is by far the most ethnically inclusive mainstream YA sci-fi book I've ever read. It tells the story of an African American young man named Emmett who is recruited by a mysterious corporation and promised a LOT of money for completing a top secret mission on a distant planet. The fine print: while en route, he'll have to compete against nine other recruits--all from different countries--in a series of physically and mentally excruciating tasks to secure one of eight spots on the final mission team.

The beauty of this story, though, isn't solely rooted in the diversity of the characters. What really made it a hit for me is that despite the fact that all the recruits come from different countries/cultures, the main conflict really hinges on the one thing all the characters have in common. (I won't say what it is because trying to stay spoiler-free.)

I've never read a book that manages to illustrate the complexity of human motivations while simultaneously keeping the pages turning. Not only could I not put it down... when I got to the end, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Every time Emmett was faced with a moral dilemma--and there were many--I found myself torn. Every single time. There were no easy answers.

And that was my favorite aspect of the story. The depth. The complexity of each character. The constant battle between doing whatever it takes to earn a place on the final team, and maintaining a sense of self and personal integrity.

If I could give it six stars, I would.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nyxia.

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah LOL both "in one word: wow" and "if I could give it six stars, I would" are printed on the cover of my arc.. but they are said to be quotations of people called Claire and David and I'm so confused 😂

Stacey Camp Thanks for the great review! I just started it today and am already loving it :)