Robert's Reviews > The Polar Express

The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg

Feb 18, 2011

bookshelves: christmas, holiday, van-allsburg, 4-2, caldecott-medal, classic, tear-jerker, fiction, favorites, in-classroom
Read on December 25, 2010 — I own a copy

Chris Van Allsburg is one of my favorite authors. I picked up on his works when I was in graduate school and feel immediately for his storytelling. Obviously, this is one of the biggies. I used to read this yearly to my students the day before the Christmas break. In the goodie bags (usually a porceline Santa mug or some such holiday design), there was always a silver bell. The students reveled with such delight.

Then the movie came out. Movies spoil the magic of the classroom. I haven't had the same reaction to the book since. I have stopped reading it to my classes. FWIW, after protesting the movie initially, I have seen it. It is awesome! Beetle can watch it hundreds of times during the season.

Van Allsburg's writing is aptly complemented by his illustrations. I love his style.

This is a must read!

Many years ago when my sister lived in Iowa, I visited for Christmas. Our parents were there too. I had talked up this book quite a bit. I recall my mother reading it and losing all control. It is a tear-jerker!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Polar Express.

01/27/2017 marked as: read