Fedora's Reviews > The Reluctant Princess

The Reluctant Princess by Christine Rimmer

U 50x66
Feb 17, 2011

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** Started this on a whim because I happened to have the whole series--the idea is cute, but this one was only OK. Elli Thorson's a princess who's grown up in California. Her estranged father sends his top man, Hauk FitzWyborn, to bring her home for a visit, by any means necessary. His parents never married, which made him a lower-class citizen in their little country. They feel a strong attraction to each other, but realize that they ought not act on it.

Elli dithered a little too much for my taste in the earlier parts of the book--once she'd decided to go (against her mother's wishes), she dragged her feet preparing for no apparent reason, making her seem childish. And she seemed to have so little regard for the traditions of her home country; it didn't make me better disposed to like her.

Hauk's quite devoted to his king and understands his position. It's definitely delightful to see him get his heart's desire in the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reluctant Princess.