Elle's Book Blog's Reviews > The Leaving

The Leaving by Tara Altebrando

bookshelves: standalones, suspense, thrills-and-chills, young-adult

Release Date: June 7, 2016
Genre: Young Adult Mystery

This book is one of the most original novels I have read in a while. It's one of those books where you really have no idea WHY things happened and figuring it out and how it will end is nearly impossible. The author has created something unique with this novel and I am super excited to see what she comes up with next.

The story is about 6 children who go missing on their first day of kindergarten and aren't found until 11 years later when they come back home with no memories of what happened over these years. It is told in alternating points of view which allows readers a glimpse into the minds of 2 of the kids who were kidnapped and one who is the sister of a kidnapped boy. Intertwined in the story is a second mystery as well. Because even though 6 children were taken only 5 of them came back. So what happened to the sixth child? Why were they taken in the first place? And who is behind everything?

As far as the plot goes, I think the whole concept is very original. However, I did find the ending to be a little underwhelming as I felt like I was hanging onto the edge of my seat up until the point. That's not to say the ending was bad because it's not. But I was hoping for a bit more in terms of emotions from the characters and a little more information about the lives of these kids in the aftermath of figuring out what happened. Perhaps a nice little epilogue would have helped?

Other than this, the novel is pretty fantastic. I'll admit, there were times when I thought this book was going sci-fi on me, and then I thought it was turning into a murder mystery and so on. This is all due to how the author tells the story and weaves it through readers minds. For me, this makes it so much more interesting and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

So, if your looking for a unique mystery I would certainly recommend this book. It's told in a way that will leave readers anxious to know more while also adding an enjoyment factor as well. I will be looking for more of the authors work in the near future based on this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Leaving.

January 1, 2016 – Shelved
January 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 16, 2017 – Started Reading
March 17, 2017 – Shelved as: standalones
March 17, 2017 – Shelved as: suspense
March 17, 2017 – Shelved as: thrills-and-chills
March 17, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 17, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Happy reading!! :D

Elle's Book Blog Thanks, hun! I enjoyed it =D

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Awesome review, lovely! xoxo

Elle's Book Blog Thanks, sweetie! :)

message 5: by Judith (new)

Judith Great review,babe!

Elle's Book Blog Thanks, love!