Alicia's Reviews > Outsiders

Outsiders by Tammy Ferebee

25620627

liked it
bookshelves: aliens

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Jaylen’s always known she’s different. Moving to a new town, she finds others like her, and hopes they can tell her what she is exactly.

Outsiders was a young adult paranormal romance, though this book lovingly waltzed the line of a few genres.

This was a refreshingly diverse book. At times it was a little too in-your-face with it, but only in the first few chapters until everyone was introduced.
The writing style was very easy to follow; and for a YA book light on the teen angst. It does contain insta love, but given the plot this is perfectly justified and just adds to the intrigue.

The main character wasn’t prone to emotional outbursts, so some of the reactions I would have expected from shocking news never eventuated. At times it felt a little too casual for the sort of revelations Jaylen was being dealt, somehow lessening their significance. The main twist and mysterious past were revealed early on in the story line, without the usual dragging out of carefully doled titbits. Again, these moments were played down, so the usual drama found in these books was a lot smoother and less accentuated.
I loved the side characters, and wish we could have seen a little more from them.

The book lost stars for me because of the dialogue, which made up a large portion of the content. To me it didn’t always seem authentic, and there were inconsistencies with the characters across different scenes.
The end conflict also left me confused. Without saying too much, it escalated rather quickly, and the agreed course of reparation was illogical and somewhat insane.

That being said, it was still a highly enjoyable book, and I’m looking forward to the rest of the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outsiders.

Started Reading