Peep (Pop! Pop!)'s Reviews > Firegirl

Firegirl by Tony Abbott

Feb 17, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: clean-enough, read-in-2011, just-okay, addicted-to-ya

I'm glad I read this one. It was a fast read. I didn't realize that it was middle grade. It wasn't very happily ever after. It was more along the lines of a coming of age story. In the beginning, before I realized how old Tom was, I got kind of bored with his imagination. It was all over the place. But then I realized he was just starting seventh grade, I realized how fitting it was.

I really worry about Jeff. Something tells me if that kid doesn't get it together, he's going to be horrible in high school. That, or in jail somewhere. Nearly all of his behaviors disturbed me!

I felt Tom deserved better. I agreed with his mom that he should get out more. I think he would do better if he connected with some people. Maybe join a school group? I thought he was sweet either way. I liked that he wasn't good looking or popular and that he was slightly chubby.

I felt bad for Jessica. I wish we could have learned more about her. Hey, I wish things had worked out differently for her all around. I would have liked to know why they sent Jessica to that school out of all the other schools that were apparently closer. They talked about it, but I guess it wasn't important because it was never brought up again.

I wish the kids would have been more welcoming. Though I don't know many kids that age that would have been more welcoming. I suppose for that age they did well, with the exception of that Jeff! Really, nothing happens too much in the book.

Overall, I'd say you should read it since it's something different from what people (at least for me) usually read. Plus, it's short. So even if you didn't like it, you didn't lose to much of your time. I think you'd at least think it was OK.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firegirl.