Carrie Mansfield 's Reviews > Stiletto

Stiletto by Daniel O'Malley

Dec 31, 2015

First things first: despite what your expectations (and to a lesser extent the synopsis) might expect, Stiletto is not Myfanwy Thomas' story. She's still important, but she's not the protagonist. It was definitely disappointing for me at first, but once you make the adjustment, you realize that it's a-okay.

The characters that the book focuses on - Odette Leliefeld, granddaughter of the the leader of the Grafters and Pawn Felicity Thomas are equally engaging in their own right. Furthermore, by shifting the point of view, we get to learn Grafter history and see the war that we learned about in The Rook told from their prospective and it's all interesting stuff. Also, by focusing on these two women, it also becomes a book on friendship as the relationship between the two women grow and as both try to navigate dealing with one another and their place in the greater Checquy which brings some nice balance to the action of the book.

O'Malley's trademark humor firmly remains intact - I was rather fond of a spot where there was a subtle pun about wasps and WASPS myself - so if you enjoyed it there, you'll be happy to see it still in full use here.

Finally, I liked the length of this book. It's nearly a hundred pages longer than The Rook and O'Malley puts them to good use. The book never feels hurried, nor does it feel overstuffed and I thank the publisher for letting him have the space he needed to tell his story.

Four years was a long wait between books, but absolutely a worthy one. I really hope it sells well enough so we can get a third. I absolutely adore this world and want to see more of it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stiletto.

December 31, 2015 – Shelved
page 56
page 100
page 157
page 200
34.31% "I love this world, and I love the new people we've been introduced too."
June 6, 2016 –