Meghan's Reviews > Passenger

Apr 30, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, science-fiction, historical

3.5/5 stars

This time traveling adventure will take you through various historical events and destinations as Etta and Nicholas search for a tool that could change their entire lives, both past, present, and future. In order to save her mother, Etta goes in search of the astrolabe, a tool wanted by Cyrus Ironwood who is keeping her mother hostage. Nicholas follows her after being promised his freedom from the Ironwoods if he makes sure Etta follows through on her promise to return it. Neither wants to tell the other the truth, but as they journey through time it becomes harder and harder to keep the truth a secret from one another.

Overall, I did enjoy this book. The pacing was pretty well done as Etta jumps from one time period to the next, following clues her mother left behind. She and Nicholas are thrown into various times that force them to adapt rather quickly, despite not having the right attire or means to acquire them. All while running from evil men chasing them throughout the time periods so they can get to the astrolabe first.

What I didn't like:
The romance between Etta and Nicholas was somewhat contrived. From the very beginning (as soon as they saw one another across a ship) they are taken with each other. And it's not just that they like one another--they are meant to be together. After one look. I wanted there to be some work on either or both of their parts, but it just came too easily. The only problem was that they were from two different time periods and someone would have to leave their time period in order for a relationship to be had.

Will I read the second book?
I haven't' decided yet. Probably. The place in which Alexandra Bracken leaves us, is one in which I must find out the end. Nicholas...I need to see him in Wayfarer after that ending. So many things revealed at the end that I'm going to need some closure here.

Happy Reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Passenger.

December 31, 2015 – Shelved