Calista's Reviews > The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

did not like it

If I could give this book less than one star, I would. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever disliked a book as much as I did this one. There were some good points made. They could have all been contained in about four paragraphs. As written, the book was repetitive, boring, and repeatedly insulting to the reader.

First of all, I'm wary of anyone who declares him or herself to be "enlightened". The author's early description of finding enlightenment sounds far more like mental illness. Second, he has created a theory with which no one can argue. If one argues with any of it from a point of logic, the author can just take the high-handed response of "yes, you feel that way because you're not enlightened as I am". Finally, I found the portion of the book about a woman's menstrual cycle to be ridiculous. It sounded as if it had been written by a 12 year old boy who had little understanding and was disgusted by the female body's natural process.

I will try to walk away with the few nuggets of wisdom that this book had to offer, but I don't think it was worth having to wade through several tons of...manure...to obtain them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Now.

December 31, 2015 – Started Reading
December 31, 2015 – Shelved
March 10, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Marwa Mostafa you said what i want to say :)

Marwa Mostafa can i quote yr comment?

message 4: by Netlin (new)

Netlin There is another book on similar topic. Book name is: "A Timeline of Wandering Thoughts" by Shakeel Ahmed Shah. I request you to read preview of that book on Amazon kdp and review.29