Silver James's Reviews > Brotherhood in Death

Brotherhood in Death by J.D. Robb

bookshelves: 2016-books-read, auto-buy-series, keeper, romance, suspense, audio-books, 2017-books-read, scifi, 2020-books-read, favorite-authors, reread
Read 3 times. Last read October 16, 2020 to October 19, 2020.

Brotherhood in Death (In Death, #42) by J.D. Robb Well, here it is 2020, and a marathon listen to the series. I'm not sure it's in my T0p 5, but definitely my Top 10. It came hard on the heels of all the violence in DEVOTED IN DEATH and there's so much anger and violence in this book, and given events this year? Yeah. Anyway, it's stil masterfully writtne and presented. That's about the only addition I have. All previous thoughts stand.

2017 review: Audible review: As I noted at the bottom of my originally review, I do indeed have this book in audio now. And no, my thoughts haven't changed at all. Still in my top 5 in the series. Still crushing on Dennis Mira. Roarke and Eve still make my heart go pittypat. Plus, Susan Erickson as narrator. True story: I was reading WONDERMENT IN DEATH (too cheap to buy the audio) and the whole time I was reading on my Kindle, I heard Susan's voice characterizations in my head. That says a great deal about her talent as a voice actress! 2020 NOTE: I now own the Audible version of WONDERMENT. Shush!

[Original review] I put off reading this one--a combination of contest-judge reads, audio book listening, and other excuses. I finally got around to it and this book ranks right up there with my top favorites in the whole long series! This book was funny--Dallas's riff on doll house shenanigans, golden eggs, and idle hands had me laughing out loud. This book was tender--Mr. Mira. Oh, dear Prof. Dennis Mira. Like Dallas, I have a bit of a crush on you! And the love scenes between Eve and Roarke... *deep feminine sigh* This book was sly--I think Dallas plays her malaprops for effect! This book was angry--the perpetrators, Dallas, even Roarke. It peeled back another level of Eve and Roarke's relationship. (I should probably point out my quirk here--Dallas is the cop, Eve is the woman. She is sometimes both at once, but more often than not, she is one or the other.) This book had heart and soul. My only complaint is a lack of Summerset's presence. His one real appearance was touching and knowing, but I miss the repartee between Dallas and Summerset. I hope he returns with full force and vigor in the next book.

Interestingly, I was listening to NAKED IN DEATH (Book 1) on audiobook when I started reading BROTHERHOOD. I likely would have caught the references to the very beginning of Eve Dallas and Roarke anyway, but NAKED was so fresh, it made the memories jump out at me.

I'd give BROTHERHOOD far more than 5 stars if I could. It's definitely in my top five favorite books in the series! As always, I have this book in hardback and digital and now I'll have to add it to my Audible collection. Hello credits! Yay.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brotherhood in Death.

December 31, 2015 – Shelved