Mike's Reviews > The Mists of Avalon

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Dec 31, 2015

did not like it
bookshelves: owned
Read 2 times. Last read February 25, 2018.

This time I listened to this book. Precognition and clairvoyance showed up in the book’s first minutes. But, now, I didn't want to finish it this time because it's way too long, by at least half. Each and every character is so highly-developed I got bored listening to them. Thus I skipped to the beginning of each the final two-thirds of its chapters. And listened to just a couple of minutes each for possible nuggets of what happened.

Well, the first time I read this in the 1980s it was a very different read for me because I'd less experience in this body. Now, my second time through it, it's waaaaay too long which makes it supremely boring. I skipped over two-thirds of its chapters. Zimmer's a masterful writer, although the book could have easily been halved for me instead of being a sweeping, epic, Medieval soap saga. But I *do* love the claircognizance and acceptance of old Earth ways woven into it :-)

Once upon a time, at the 51st World Science Fiction Convention, I trembled in surprised awe as I approached Marion Zimmer Bradley to ask her to sign my hardback. I’d never had that reaction to any celebrity. And not even once more since that one time although I’ve talked with many including the most famous. There's a page about the WorldCon at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/51st_.... At that same convention Robert Silverberg, David Brin and Jack Chalker signed their books for me. Five fans including yours truly had lunch with Larry Niven.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mists of Avalon.

December 31, 2015 – Shelved
February 23, 2017 – Shelved as: owned
February 1, 2018 – Started Reading
February 24, 2018 –
60.0% "Well, the first time I read this in the 1980s it was a very different read for me because I'd less experience in this body. Now, my second time through it, it's significantly boring. I'm skipping over half of its chapters. Zimmer's a masterful writer, although the book could have easily been halved for me instead of being a sweeping, epic, Medieval soap saga. But I *do* love the claircognizance woven into it :-)"
Started Reading