Isaiah!'s Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Feb 17, 2011

bookshelves: owned
Read from December 22 to 25, 2011

Matched was one of my most favorite dystopian lit. books. That being said, I really looked forward to reading Crossed this year.

Did it disappoint me? No. But there are a few things that, I don't know, let's just get on with it:

First of all, I was quite shocked when I found out that the book was written in two different points of view. There's nothing wrong with it, but still, it had me thinking that without Ky's point of view, there would be a whole lot of holes to fill just to complete the story. Plus, since the first book was written entirely in Cassia's POV, and this one with both Ky's and Cassia's POV, then the series isn't that consistent. I mean, it would've been great if Matched was written in Ky's POV also. But still, I'd have to say that I really like how Ally Condie decided to add Ky's POV here.

Second, I'm not really sure if it's just me, but one of the things that I really loved in Matched was how creative it was narrated, like somehow that words didn't sound like prose, but poetry. In Crossed, it didn't seem as much. But anyways, all in all, I loved Matched and I would give it a 4.5 if only Goodreads would allow us to give half stars.

Here comes the spoilers because I just can't help not sharing them :)) If you're tempted to read them, go on ahead, they're only three anyway. :)) ;)

S

L
E
R
T

1.)WHAT THE HELL?! Xander is part of the Rising!!! Now I didn't see that coming :)) All along, I thought that Xander's double crossing would have something to do with giving away Cassia's mad chase for Ky and bringing her back to Society or something.

2.)LOL, the love square is growing pretty quickly. I hope that Indie does end up with Xander, so that Cassia and Ky will finally get together in the end.

3.)It's really quite annoying how hard it was to find the Rising yet it was so easy for them to just return Cassia to Central. Not to mention, it's also annoying because I don't even know anyone from the Society yet, who the real leader is. Because I was really looking forward for Ally Condie to shed some light on the Society. Like in the Hunger Games, there was President Snow. I'm still looking for the Snow character in this series.

UHH, looking forward to Book 3! Can't wait to see if the Rising is just like the Society, like how District 13 was just like the Capitol in THG. So excited! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

Quotes Isaiah! Liked

Ally Condie
“Love has different shades. Like the way I loved Cassia when I thought she'd never love me. The way I loved her on the Hill. The way I love her now that she came into the canyon for me. It's different. Deeper. I thought I loved her and wanted her before, but as we walk through the canyon together I realize this could be more than a new shade. A whole new color.”
Ally Condie, Crossed

Ally Condie
“Everyone has something of beauty about them. But loving lets you look, and look, and look again. You notice the back of a hand, the turn of a head, the way of a walk. When you first love, you look blind and you see it all as the glorious, beloved whole, or a beautiful sum of beautiful parts. But when you see the one you love as pieces, as why's, you can love those parts too, and it's a love at once more complicated and more complete.”
Ally Condie, Crossed

12/22/2011 page 110
30.0% "Basically, Xander just gave Cassia death in a pill. Or pills. :)) Die Xander"
12/23/2011 page 210
57.0% "At last, after all the climbing and the stupidity of Cassia taking in that blue tablet, she finds Ky once again. Woooo. Happiness! :> :3"

message 1: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin E. It certainly is, :(

message 2: by Roniece (new) - added it

Roniece Hollingsworth It's coming out November of this year?

Olivia speak for yourself, my birthday is on november the 1st!

Jennifer "Love square"... that made me giggle. I'm loking forward to book 3 as well.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda that book was really good!!

message 6: by Nuella (new) - added it

Nuella i love this book i love all her books i wanna read it so bad its going to be cool and amazing in so many levels!!

message 7: by Lexi (new) - rated it 1 star

Lexi martin have u read Delirium by lauren oliver? so much better.

message 8: by Nuella (new) - added it

Nuella no but i am guessing it is good just by your opinion but i will try and read it btw is there a way someone can read a novel on this website

Toni Whittaker i cant wait for the 3rd book either delirium is next on my agenda to read :-) i just finished the uglies series minus the 4th book before i read theses really enjoyed reading them too !!! :-)

message 10: by Nuella (new) - added it

Nuella cool!

Kennis this book is not really dystopian at all

Kennis there are very few dystopian elements

Lorah Read Reached yet? I'm reading it now....I can't remember Calebs character much from Crossed.....how did they get separated? Thanks.

message 14: by Toni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Toni Whittaker Ive started reading it I've read that much since I'm struggling remember all the going ons as well hahaha

Jessy L I have to disagree when you say that you wish the first book was written in Ky's point of view. I feel that his point of view was not necessary in this book. The use of his point of view in the second book was there to show how both of their lives were coming together. Then this could show the process through which they meet again. I would definitely agree with you in giving this book 4.5 stars. Also in the first book, i agree that it is very poetic! I loved the feeling of love that she tries to portray by doing this.

Missy I agree about shipping her back to society so fast. I think that whole section was given away too quickly.....I'd rather of maybe have Ky arrive not able to find her & have to do a little digging....yes they're recently reunited; not to that extent....just a little something. Or maybe they don't kniw all their assignments yet? Just a little something to get me excited for the next book.

message 17: by Noa (new)

Noa Benveniste I actually did not like this book very much. The first book was very good, but I felt like nothing was accomplished in this book besides Cassia finding Ky, which everybody knew was going to happen anyways. I do agree that it was interesting that Condie wrote this book in two POV. Since Ky and Cassia were separated for half of the book, it was good to have the two POV to keep track of the two of them throughout the book. By the end of the book I was actually getting tired of Cassia and Ky because all they did was talk about poetry. I honestly felt bad for Xander because he is clearly Cassia's true match. I actually think that Indie and Ky would be good together since they understand what it was like to grow up an Aberration. You keep on comparing this series to the Hunger Games. This is actually interesting because it is the same type of book. Wouldn't you rather read another book with a new and original idea than a book that was so similar to one that you've already read? I will probably end up reading book three as well, because I can't stand not finishing a series.