Moriah's Reviews > Something True

Something True by Kieran Scott

*This review will also appear on A Leisure Moment*

What I find so enthralling about this series is the different ways to love—old and new love, complicated and easy love. In Only Everything, True helped complete strangers fall in love. Next, in Complete Nothing, she helped mend a broken relationship. So in Something True I had high hopes for her last couple, plus with Artemis and Apollo threatening her life, the stakes were high. Some of the characters that had slowly become part of True’s life—some that played key roles in the love stories of others—got their own chances at love.

“I couldn’t help wishing that Orion—this Orion—would choose me.”

Throughout the entire series, True was fighting for Orion. Zeus threw him into this strange, new world and took away all of his memories. True had to gain some resolve—the love of her life so close, yet so far away. In the prologue of the first book, True tried to teach Orion the modern day vernacular. When thrown to Earth with fabricated memories, he had a better understanding of how the world worked than she did. Because he didn’t quite fit anywhere, he made for an interesting character, one that kept on surprising even himself. He and True’s relationship kept me on the edge of my seat, especially since in this world he already had a girlfriend—Darla Shayne—and she wasn’t going to let anyone ruin her homecoming.

Darla Shayne had multiple layers. I met her in the first book and got a glimpse of the girl that she wanted to be, but her supposed best friend, Veronica, regulated every choice that she made. Her thoughts were torn between what she wanted to do and what Veronica wanted her to do, who she wanted to be with and who she thought she needed to be with. While I didn’t like her character at the beginning, learning more about the girl that she hid created a complex and likeable narrator.

In order to survive this world, particularly with her incongruous nature, True had to make friends. Besides the couples that she connected, she had computer savvy Wallace Bracken. Though the narrators of this installment were True, Orion, and Darla, Wallace had a puissant presence. I didn’t need his voice to know he feelings—talk about an open book. With so many of the characters hiding who they really were, what they thought, and who they wanted to become, Wallace was refreshing and added a lot to the story.

“’I’d rather spend whatever short time I have here with you than land among the stars, watching life go on without me. Watching you go on without me.’”

Lastly, another important character in the trilogy was Hephaestus, as in the Hephaestus. If you know any Greek mythology, you probably know a little about Hephaestus. If you don’t, then you’ll learn about his involvement with the Greek gods in a new and exciting way throughout each book. Scott gave the gods—though not entirely—a human side. When old love leaves, new love takes it’s place, hence the whole reason for the series. I read about some of my favorite stories in a new light through random conversation and saw a new side to characters that have been around for centuries.

“His smile, his hands, his eyes, his hair. Home was Orion. Orion was home.”

Albeit the shortest book in the trilogy, it packed a punch. Scott had a lot of story in this one, tied up loose ends, and left me still wanting more—more of True, more of Lake Carmody, and more true love. Sprinkled with Grecian myths and characters that have become familiar, the entire series is a whirlwind that deserves a spot on your shelves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something True.

December 28, 2015 – Started Reading