tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Waiting for Godot: A Tragicomedy in Two Acts

Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett

liked it
bookshelves: plays

I'm willing to accept Beckett as one of the greatest writers of the 20th century but there are times when his grimness is more than I want to bear. Life itself is already grim enuf. "Waiting for Godot" is probably the 1st thing I read of Beckett's. I don't really remember my reaction to it - perhaps just a little.. FRUSTRATION, yes, probably. Beckett's a great writer & I sure as fuck am glad I'm not him. His worldview is an endless slow crawl thru the mud by imbeciles. & he's very good at telling it.

"Waiting for Godot" has become an expression meaning to "wait for something that'll never come". I interpret it as "waiting for God to" - meaning waiting for a fantasy external force to solve yr problems. "Waiting for Godot" is like praying - you can waste yr time doing that or you can actually do something practical. "Waiting for Godot" is putting off facing yr own life b/c you're too afraid or lazy or brainwashed to do anything but pass the buck & pretend like that's somehow an expression of yr 'quality'. So, "Waiting for Godot" is a powerful play.. but it still surprises me that there're so many editions of it. Even this 1954 edition that I have is the THIRTY-SIXTH PRINTING! &, yet, how many people in this society, in this world, are STILL WAITING FOR GODOT?!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for Godot.