Marie Montondo's Reviews > Daughter of the Forest

Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier

Feb 16, 2011

Recommended for: Adults, Mythology Enthusiasts
Read from February 20 to March 04, 2011 , read count: 1

I almost returned this book to the library after reading two chapters, and while I'm glad I didn't, it fell short of my expectations.

The story is good. The thing is, though, that's easy; Marillier had a well-known Irish folk legend to use as a plot skeleton.

My problem with Daughter of the Forest is the Marillier's language. While definitely not the worst writing I've ever read, the novel's narrative voice seems to flit between a fantasy-video-game etheral voice and all-too-modern descriptions of a historical settings. This is made even worse by the fact that the story is told in the first person. A girl in pre-Industrial Britain or Ireland would never say "train of thought."

Nonetheless, I felt (somewhat embarrassingly) compelled to keep reading as I became used to the language and invested in the characters. I may or may not pick up the sequel. Either way, I want to read something a bit more polished first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Forest.