Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin's Reviews > Before Goodbye

Dec 30, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: kindle-own, kindle-first

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

This is my first kindle first pick of the month book and I thought this book sounded really good.

I loved how the author wrote a lot of the book almost like poetry. I did think the book was a bit long for me and I love big books, but in this case I don't think it was needed.

Cate and Cal play classical guitars together, Cate is in love with Cal, or so she thinks. Then one night there is a fateful car crash where Cal dies. (This is not a spoiler, it's on the book description.) Cate blames Cal's death on herself because she didn't tell him to slow down. Cate has a very hard time with this as her and Cal were friends since they were little. She goes on a very downward spiral.

Cate also babysits a little girl named Kimmy. There is also Bryn and David that are sister and brother to Kimmy. Cate has known David for years but never really talked to him because he was always the player jock, then something happens to him and they start to notice each other in small ways. ----> This is NOT an insta love story or a love triangle.

----> DAVID <----

But my eyes have been on the wrong things. The prizes...are not what I want.
And maybe it's because I hang back now, watching, that I see her. If I were still a blur of motion: football, track, grades, girls--girls, girls, girls--I would've missed her.
She's like...a still point.
All around her, the world twists and turns, but she is still. Like the horizon.

♣♣♣♣♣

----> Cate <----

"Because I'm at your house practically every day?" And because...The afternoon light slants through windows set high on the walls, hitting his eyes. Because of that, the golden spill of honey in your eyes. God, what's wrong with me?

There are a lot of other characters that play key roles in the book. Cate's best friend is having problems with her girlfriend who is a jerk. David is having trouble with an old friend of his that he just wants to strangle. We have drugs, rape, murder (which wasn't dwelled on too much, but they deserved it anyway), dysfunctional families, bands, love, music, music, music. The book has a lot going on, from one thing to the next. Some moments I wanted to give it 4 stars but then I would be back down to 3. I liked it good enough, but there were just too many details of random things throwing me off so it's a solid 3. I did fall in love with the writing style though..anything that reads like a lyrical soul is awesome. Yep, I made that up :-)

The ending was decent enough, some things came together for each person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before Goodbye.

December 30, 2015 – Started Reading
December 30, 2015 – Shelved
December 30, 2015 – Shelved as: kindle-own
page 0
0.0% "I think maybe I will see if I can get this finished before it comes out in the first. I got it through the kindle first program where you can pick an Arc each month. We shall see since its 400 plus"
December 30, 2015 –
10.0% "David's dad is a jerk!"
December 31, 2015 – Finished Reading
January 1, 2016 – Shelved as: kindle-first

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Glad that you enjoyed it for the most part. Excellent review of course :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you Deanna :-)