Jenben8426's Reviews > The Wedding Dress

F 50x66
Feb 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: book-club, adult

It is 1865 only two years after the Civil War has ended. The Atwater sisters are in trouble. They are running low on money, supplies, and have no man to protect them during a time of reconstruction in the South. Victoria and Julia are widowed but they are determined that 17 year old Claire will not feel the distress that has taken hold of so many people. They promise Claire she will be married and begin to sew a wedding dress and pray that the groom will eventually show himself. Throughout the making of the dress the girls learn more about themselves than ever before, unexpected guests teach them lessons, and the girls learn what it means to uplift and support one another.

I enjoyed the book and the feel good messages it brought to the table. I loved the relationships between the sisters. It felt as though Virginia Ellis was taking a page from Louisa May Alcott's Little Women at times, but I still felt very connected to each girl. The hope and faith that these girls had was very refreshing. I did think the ghosts were a bit off and would have related more if only one of the girls had seen them or if Ellis had kept it to just William. I knew the ending about 30 pages into it, but still was fun to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wedding Dress.