Peter's Reviews > Midnight Tides

Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson

Feb 16, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from February 16 to March 13, 2011

When I first started reading this one, I was annoyed that the entire novel seemed to be a back story for Trull Sengar. I thought it made more sense as one of the Malazan side-novels that Erikson has published. The longer I read, however, the more I got attached to the new characters (Udinass, Tehol, Kettle, etc...) and realized that it did have important plot elements it was furthering (concerning the Crippled God and the Edur in particular). I anticipate that a lot of what we learned and many of the characters we met will play significant roles in later novels (I hope so at least). My one main complaint with the book, though, was that Erikson attempted humor more than usual in this one which I, although I appreciated it sometimes (the Edur storyline could be a bit bleak) other times it was too much (particularly with Surq and Tehol). Other than that the only issue I had was the addition of another full continent and another set of characters is making the series even more unwieldy and complex and I'm worried that Erikson won't be able to tie it together satisfactorily. Overall, a surprisingly strong installment!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Tides.