Angela Goodrich's Reviews > Convincing the Secretary

Convincing the Secretary by Ava March

bookshelves: wicked-reads, review-copy, mm, historical-romance

I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Although I haven’t read the previous two books in the series, I was optimistic that Convincing the Secretary could be read as a stand-alone book as it featured different characters. After finishing the novella, I was relieved to learn that I was correct and pleased that I took a chance because Edward Fenton was such a delightfully naughty young man, while Lord Grayson Holloway proved to be the stern solicitor who was more than willing to take young Edward in hand – quite literally.

I have always enjoyed historical romances and have learned within the last year or so, that this holds true in the M/M genre as well. There is just something fascinating about watching two men navigate societal dictates and laws that could land them in jail simply because of how they were born. Not the landing in jail part, obviously. Rather it is the dance two gentlemen must partake in so that they can judge whether or not the objection of their affection is interested in them, and then whether or not they are willing to act upon their predilections. Lord Grayson is no stranger to the “dance” and has enjoyed the company of his fair share of men, but much to his disappointment, none have been interested in more than a night or two of fun. Unfortunately for Lord Grayson, the latest man to catch his attention is his secretary, Edward Fenton. While Gray knows that Edward is attracted to men by the longing gazes Edward directs at Mr. Barrington, Edward has never looked at him the same way. So Lord Grayson sets out to find out if he can turn the young man’s eye his way and keep it there for the long-term.

I actually found it quite amusing when Gray started feeling Edward out only to realize that the biggest obstacle between them was not Gray’s parentage, but rather that Edward had no idea that Gray preferred men. Once that misunderstanding was cleared up, Edward lost most of his awkwardness because he was no longer worried about being imprisoned. Once we learn more about Edward’s desires – and they are some good ones – it is much easier to understand why he was so cautious and was inexperienced. But it turns out that Gray and Edward’s desires complement one another quite well and this makes for some extremely stimulating reading. Sadly, they both make assumptions about the other’s motives and feelings, and the ensuing separation was a bit heartbreaking to witness. The upside of Convincing the Secretary being a novella is a quicker resolution, so once the men took the time to talk to one another and listen to what was being said, they found a way to move forward. I especially loved that March didn’t force Edward to comply with societal dictates for a young man of his station and gave him the inner fortitude to find his happiness without kowtowing to his family’s demands. I look forward to going back and reading books one and two as I have now bought them, as well as reading whatever the author has in store for the London Legal series next – and hopefully get an update on Edward and Gray.

Wicked Reads Review Team

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Convincing the Secretary.

December 29, 2015 – Shelved