Christina's Reviews > The Forgotten Room

The Forgotten Room by Karen   White

4 stars!

"Well, that's the thing about choices, isn't it? There are always more to make. I've never seen a street where you couldn't cross to the other side. "

This was a beautifully written historical fiction, written in a collaboration of 3 different authors : Karen White, Lauren Willig and Beatriz Williams. Honestly, everything flowed together so wonderfully that you can't even tell that 3 different authors had a hand in the different storylines.

1944 :
Kate Schuyler is a doctor working in a private hospital ( formerly a great mansion ) on Manhattan's Upper East Side when Captain Cooper Ravenel is brought in with a badly infected war injury.

1920 :
Lucy Young, having accepted a job as a secretary at the law offices of Cromwell, Polk and Moore, has just made the move from Brooklyn to Manhatten, seeking answers to questions brought up about her paternity. She has moved into the same building housing the private hospital that Kate works in, though in the 1920's it was a women's boardinghouse.

1892 :
Olive Van Alan is a servant in the Pratt mansion ( yes, the very same building mentioned twice already ), which her father designed. Upon the Pratt's not paying for his services as their architect, he took his own life, leaving his wife and daughter to pick up the pieces and in Olive's case, to look for a way to find revenge for her late father.

This is their story, spanning 3 generations. Slowly throughout the book, you start collecting little clues and learn how the women are connected to each other. How their choices and loves have affected their futures and the futures of those that came after them. The twist at the end was, for me, pretty unexpected. For a time, I thought I had it all figured out, but I only had half the story. I don't want to say much more, so as not to spoil any who might read this review before reading the book. This was a really enjoyable read though...it was a bit slow in the first third of the book, but once the revelations started coming out, I was hooked!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Room.

December 29, 2015 – Shelved
December 29, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 11, 2016 –
page 1
0.27% "I've not read anything by 2 of the authors yet ( Karen White or Lauren Willig ) but with Beatriz Williams as the third, I can't resist!"
February 12, 2016 – Started Reading
February 17, 2016 –
page 249
February 17, 2016 –
page 315
84.91% "Didn't see that coming...."
February 17, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Fafa's Book Corner I'm so happy to see that you liked it!

And yes I agree that it was cool how we got three different point of views in different time periods! The writing was fantastic!

Great review :)

Christina Thank you! I'm honestly in awe that they pulled this book together so well, all 3 of the storylines just flowed well together and had a similar feel to them, as far as the writing style goes.

Aj the Ravenous Reader Beautifully written review, Christina. <3

Christina Thank you AJ!

message 5: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review hun :)

Christina Thank you Jessica!

message 7: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I've been meaning to read this one :) Very good review!!!

Christina Thank you Deanna! Hope you enjoy it!

message 9: by Donita (new)

Donita Luz I haven't been able to read historical fiction but this one sounds like a great pick, thanks to your wonderful review Cristina ! <3

Christina Thank you Donita, that made my day :) Honestly, Beatriz Williams writes some of the best historical fiction ( in my opinion )

message 11: by Donita (new)

Donita Luz Christina wrote: "Thank you Donita, that made my day :) Honestly, Beatriz Williams writes some of the best historical fiction ( in my opinion )"

Oh So this wasn't your first from Beatriz? Really need to check it out soon! :)

Christina Nope, I first read Along the Infinite Sea by Beatriz Williams in December and that was my first book by her, but I loved it!! So now I've read all her books except one :) She has a way of writing that makes me feel like I'm right there with the characters, just watching everything happen, which is especially hard to do with historical fiction. I definitely rec her books!

Emer (A Little Haze) What a great review Christina. I love that quote at the beginning about choices... This book sounds right up my street! :))

Christina Thank you Emer :) I hope you like it just as much!!

message 15: by Tabetha (new) - added it

Tabetha Looks good, Christina!! You are making great book choices, using my twin boys favorite expression regarding good choices and bad choices : ) Just added it!

Christina Thank you! I hope you enjoy it Tabetha, it was really well written :)

message 17: by Sage (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sage I enjoy books that are written in different time periods and I like Karen White's writing style and the story of Olive, Lucy and Kate is interesting, however...I don't think this book flowed well. The difference author’s styles were apparent and because of that the characters were flat. I think in this instance the story would have been better told if it had been written in 3 sections, one for each time period.

Christina Sage, I'm sorry you felt that way. In my opinion, I think that the story flowed together really well. Had I not gone in knowing that there were 3 separate authors, I wouldn't have noticed anything off about it. I liked the way the chapters were split, it kept my interest and curiosity in all the characters active.

Christine Grant The quote you used at the beginning of your review was something that really struck me while I was reading the book. Great story!

Christina Same here! I really enjoy these authors.