K.M. Alexander's Reviews > Join

Join by Steve Toutonghi

bookshelves: sci-fi, arc

Steve Toutonghi's debut novel, Join, is one of those science fiction books that stick with you much like the work of Philip K. Dick or, more recently, Jeff VanderMeer. It's the kind of book that comes up while you're at work or socializing or brushing your teeth. Its themes both challenge and provoke, all with an engaging plot. I was hooked. In fact, it's rare that I have to force myself to slow down with a book.

Set in a near future where Earth is ravaged by extreme weather events, we find ourselves confronted with the technology of Join: the merging of individual consciousnesses into a single person. Join is the crux of the story, the partial cause for tragic events on a personal and, ultimately, global scale.

Throughout the novel, Toutonghi takes us on a journey into the ramifications of Join. Masterfully weaving beautiful prose and dark humor, he examines the ideas of individualism, mortality, gender, and consciousness while staying grounded in humanity. Toutonghi never goes too far, poking and prodding these ideas just enough to ask questions and challenge us, the reader, to provide the answer to an even bigger question: what does it mean to be human?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Join.

December 29, 2015 – Shelved