David Robertson's Reviews > The Magic of Thinking Big

The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz

The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz is simply put, amazing. Glancing at the title I thought, this is going to be a "set giant goals and you'll be good" book, but it is much more. I love the stories he tells to illustrate his points. Also, end of chapter summary of key points will be great to refer to later. Here are some of the key points I picked up I think are extremely valuable:

1. Everyone is important. Treat every person no matter race, occupation, attitude with importance. A great quote was "I'm sure he is a nice guy underneath it all."
2. Ask yourself, is this really important enough to argue about? Most of the time the answer is no. And you only lose something when you argue.
3. Don't allow negative thoughts into your mind, simply thinking them will change the way you act and think.
4. You are only as "too old" or "too young" as you think you are. Believe in yourself as it really doesn't matter your age, health, class in making it to the top.
5. When you are attending a meeting, sit in the front row and speak up! If you have listened to the meeting at all, most of the time people will like what you have to say, the presentation will be livelier and you will have the opportunity of getting noticed.
6. Go first class. Take the time to buy quality items. Over time they will actually cost less, because they will last longer, or give you bigger opportunities for advancement.

And finally my favorite quote from the entire book....

"There's a tremendously important lesson here: if you don't produce, you don't get where you want to go. Learn this lesson, and five years from now you'll regard it as one of the most profitable lessons you learned in all the time you invested here."

The context of this is Dr. Schwartz had to fail one of his students for not putting enough effort in his class. Long story short, the student re-enrolled, graduated later and went on to be extremely successful.

Definitely glad I bought this book as I will be referring to it a lot in my lifetime.

Cheers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic of Thinking Big.

December 29, 2015 – Shelved