Judy D Collins's Reviews > The Island House

The Island House by Nancy Thayer

A special thank you to Random House and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Nancy Thayer returns to the island of Nantucket with THE ISLAND HOUSE, with her summer beach installment-- the story of two best friends, Courtney and Robin. From children, loves, secrets, friends, and family and lots of summer drama. (a lot of players; not a lot of depth).

Meet the Vickerey Family, the Summer Children, the Family Friends, and the Cowboy.

• Vickerey Family: Alastair- father, Susanna- mother, Henry-oldest child, Robin-youngest daughter, James-second son, Iris-second daughter.
• Vickereys’ Summer Children: Valerie-Henry’s friend/love, Jacob-Henry’s best male friend, Courtney-Robin’s best friend, Callum Findlay-James best friend, Pearl-Iris’s best friend.
• The Family Friends: Quinn Eliot, Christabel-Quinn’s daughter
• The Cowboy: Monty Blackhorse

The summer children -what Susanna (now 60) called her four children’s best friends who spend every summer in the Vickery home, even though those children were adults and had been for years.

Courtney is returning to Nantucket for Suzanna’s sixtieth birthday. She had come to the island eleven years ago and every summer since. Nantucket was like her second home. James Vickerey was the real reason for returning. She had been in love with him since she first met him. After what happened to them, she knew she had to return to the island for one more summer.

However, Monty Blackhorse adds to her confusion.

From the Midwest, now an accomplished university professor, at twenty-nine, she is caught between two men and two different lifestyles. She is here in Nantucket to figure it all out.

From family, secrets, lovers, friends, mental illness, passions, romance, and relationships. A light fluff summer beach read.

Sorry guys you are reading this once again. As I have mentioned previously, I really enjoyed Nancy’s older books (have read them all)—was a huge fan; however, over the last several years, the author has steered away from her earlier absorbing, engaging, and suspenseful style. The same with Elin Hilderbrand. I keep reading and waiting, and it is not happening. Guess I need to move on. Please go back and find your earlier groove. It worked! Your fans miss your earlier work. I have read other similar feedback from fans. I keep hoping and waiting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island House.

December 28, 2015 – Shelved
March 30, 2016 – Started Reading
April 1, 2016 – Finished Reading
May 8, 2016 – Shelved as: womens-fiction
May 31, 2016 – Shelved as: books-read-in-2016

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Leslie I completely agree about both authors and I will miss them both.

Judy D Collins Hi Leslie, wonder what happened? Would love to know why the switch in styles. Too bad, hate to see a good thing go downhill.