Lit Coven's Reviews > Empire of Storms

Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

bookshelves: series, 2016-read, main-reads

Praise from the Coven:
“Holy Shit, Gods!”

“Emotionally traumatizing but amazing.”

Empire of Storms = The Ships. All of the ships that you could possibly ship, in one rutting novel.

description

Prepare for the heartthrobs, guys, because Maas doesn’t hold anything back. And we aren’t just talking about Rowaelin and their multi-book marathon of mounting sexual tension, either.

Actually, the one issue the Coven had with the book was that Rowan and Aelin spend entirely too much of the novel separated. We’re over here like “We need more steamy Rowaelin, scenes! Where is the sexy, golden lingerie?” and Maas is over there like “That’s cute,” while continuing the slow, delicious torture.

Yes, we did just have an imaginary conversation with Sarah J. Maas.

That is what EoS did to us, people!

Speaking of Rowaelin and their epically mounting sexual tension...(view spoiler)

description

Who knew YA fantasy could be so damn racy, provocative, hot, SEXY?

If you like plot twists, you are going to LOVE this book. Seriously, nobody knows what Aelin is up to...maybe not even Aelin herself. But fo realz she keeps you on the edge of your seat.

It all starts when Aelin and her entourage get a less than warm welcome on their home turf of Terrasen. They set out again, in search of allies and armies, dodging Erawan’s nasties along the way. They get pretty far from home, come across some new and old friends, and of course, Aelin kicks major ass.

So can we talk about character growth now?

Yes, that was a rhetorical question.

There was an astounding amount of character growth in not only her highness, the Fire-Breathing Bitch Queen herself, but also in all of her companions as well. Every supporting character had time to shine and grow into who they are meant to be. From Lysandra embracing her shifter nature, to Dorian coming to terms with what his life has become, to Elide finding both new and old allies, to Manon who learned the truth about herself and her past, there is no shortage of dilemmas for anyone in a time where they must work their hardest to prevail.

Manon is by far a Coven favorite. It might have to do with all the witchy things we have in common, but it’s more likely that it’s her complete badassery that nobody (except for Aelin) would ever mess with. Manon goes through a lot in this novel, from learning that doing what you’re told isn’t always the best idea to getting ahold of her own fine piece of man. It’s clear there is much more in store for her and our own iron nails are clicking with impatience.

Let us not forget the hellcat that is Lysandra. She kicks her own fair share of ass in EoS and lands herself a gentleman suitor as well, though, we doubt he’d call himself that.

Also, we got lots more of the hunky fae males of the cadre. We’ve made a talisman for luck because we’d love to see more of them in book six. Yes, please. And thank you.

Our least favorite characters…

Maeve. Yes, her. She’s got something up her sleeves and we’d swear by the Cauldron that we won’t like whatever it is. If she’d go back to Doranelle, leaving behind a certain trunk with important contents, we’d all be happier.

And the biggest witch bitch of them all...the Blackbeak Matron. She deserves a Sparta kick of epic proportions. We can’t wait for her to get what’s coming her way, because Karma.

Also, the Gods. They’re a bunch of divine assholes, and we’re sure Aelin would agree.

Speaking of divine assholes (*cough* Maas *cough*)...You’d better mentally and emotionally prepare yourself for that ending because in the wise words of one of our beloved witches,
“Warning, this book will emotionally wreck you.”

And of course, Queen Maas left us with plenty of unanswered questions. Below are the questions we’re dying to get the answers but beware the spoilers.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of Storms.

Quotes Lit Coven Liked

Sarah J. Maas
“The world,” Aelin said, “will be saved and remade by the dreamers, Rolfe.”
Sarah J. Maas, Empire of Storms

December 28, 2015 – Shelved
December 28, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 26, 2016 – Shelved as: series
October 29, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-read
November 13, 2016 – Started Reading
December 30, 2016 – Finished Reading
October 31, 2018 – Shelved as: main-reads

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Suzette Best. Review. Ever.

Lorryn Woodward This review is amazing! I'm re-living all the feels.