Odin's Reviews > The Revenant

The Revenant by Michael Punke

Dec 28, 2015

did not like it

** spoiler alert ** Simply stated, The Revenant is one of the worst books I've read in a long time.

I admit, I didn't know the book existed until I saw the trailer for the Leonardo DiCaprio movie. Now, I admit, I really don't like Leo, but the movie trailer looked very interesting to a boy that grew up in the Rocky Mountains and have always enjoyed tales set in the days of the fur trappers.

So, what didn't I like about it?

Characters: The way Mr. Punke wrote each of the characters left nothing for me to like. I could sympathize with the young Jim Bridger, but even here, I felt that the character was acting outside of the the author has set up for his motivations to work on him. All of the other characters I couldn't even sympathize with. Well, maybe the bear.

Plot: Ok, probably my fault here. I should have realized a book that includes "a novel of revenge" in it's title probably would be pretty bleak, but (spoiler alert) it was. However, the thing that was the most annoying is that the lead character didn't even follow through and there was no reason given. Change of heart? Don't know. Bored? Well, I don't know if he was, but I sure admit to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Revenant.

December 28, 2015 – Started Reading